Secure UDP communication and custom encryption.

Hi,

I've required to use BCrypt lib in order to secure UDP communications. Is that possible using photon servers ? (no PUN, no Bolt).

Comments

• hi, kennethharder.

we already support this for XBox for instance and using last version of .net lib you may setup Udp encryption (encryption of udp packets not only pay load encryption). Server Sdk supporting this feature is not accessible yet

best,
    ilya
  • Hey chvetsov,

I am unsure whether you are saying that Photon Server support the Xbox requirements or not? If it does can you provide a way for us to verify it? Our Microsoft security contact needs proof in order for us to pass certification.
  • Hi @kennethharder.

We have implemented UDP encryption and authentication that fulfills Microsofts specifications and requirements to their full satisfaction.

On the server side this is currently only supported on Photon Cloud, not on Photon Server yet (the latest internal state of development of Photon Server does support it, but the latest publicly available release does not).

On the Client Side this is only supported with the Photon C++ XB1 Client SDK and with the XB1-package for Photon Unity Networking. Both use the BCrypt lib for UDP encryption internally.
    It is not yet supported in the Photon Unity Client SDK, although technically it should not be a problem to change that.

Both of these Client SDKs are in use by multiple development teams and several projects that are using them have already passed Microsofts security review. No project using Photon has ever failed that review process.

Our Microsoft security contact needs proof in order for us to pass certification.

Due to NDA restrictions we can't provide any more detailed or specific information on a public channel.
    Please get in touch with us by email (https://www.photonengine.com/en/Contact) and after we have verified that you are cleared by Microsoft for disclosure of XB1 related information we can provide you with more in-depth information.
  • Many thanks for the swift reply!

What are the options for getting my hands on the internal Photon Server version? And where can I find the Photon C++ XB1 Client SDK? I am assuming that the XB1-package for Photon Unity Networking does not work with Photon Server?

Also if I cannot get my hands on the internal Photon Server version is there an option to switch out the communication layer of the public version?
  • The tiniest bump :)
  • Hi @kennethharder.

What are the options for getting my hands on the internal Photon Server version?

Please contact us by email. I will then assign that mail to our CTO in our ticket system and he will work something out with you.

And where can I find the Photon C++ XB1 Client SDK?

It is not publicly available.
    You need to send us a request by email and we then provide it to you after we have verified your official XB1 developers status with Microsoft.

I am assuming that the XB1-package for Photon Unity Networking does not work with Photon Server?

In general PUN does work with Photon Server. However the XB1 package for PUN requires a version of Photon Server that is not available yet. So its the same situation as with the Photon C++ XB1 Client SDK.

XB1 support in Photon server should become available with the next major release of Photon Server, but it may take up to a couple more months until that gets publicly available.

Also if I cannot get my hands on the internal Photon Server version is there an option to switch out the communication layer of the public version?

No, that is definitely not technically supported.

My suggestion would be to use Photon Cloud for now. You might switch to Photon Server later on when the new version gets released. The client side changes that are required to switch from Photon Cloud to Photon Server are limited to providing the server address. That's all. As the first 20CCU are free of charge and the first 100CCU are available for a one time fee of below 100$, Photon Cloud is basically completely free for development and closed betas. The monthly costs for after the public release of your game are actually that low that you will have a hard time beating them by hosting yourself.
    Therefor the only real reasons for using Photon Server instead of Photon Cloud are when you need to run server instances in local networks without internet access and when you want to run custom server side code. The latter however is also available on Photon Enterprise Cloud.
  • Appreciate the comprehensive response!

Fyi, the mail has been sent and also the game already uses Photon Server and have been doing so for over half a year on Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/489520/Minion_Masters/.