I need a few things cleared up

Options
AirDisciple
edited March 2017 in Photon Bolt
As a more visual guy I've always used playmaker/blueprint systems for my programming needs, but recently I've started rewriting my game in c# and decided to implement multiplayer.
Since all my animations are by default with root motion, my character controller was set up by merely getting input axis Horizontal/Vertical and applying those values to the animator component's blend trees Locomotion and Dodge.
If I'm not mistaken, I can't do that in multiplayer.

By following both the basic and advanced tutorial I've managed to set up the basic movement of the controller by mostly copying bolt demo's PlayerMotor, but I am completely lost when trying to create a directional dodge which is usually set up with rootmotion.
I have a bool similar to jump "isDodge" which when true should play dodge animation in the direction the player is moving and move the player. By default, with no movement input, dodge backward should be played.
Can someone explain in theory how this is set up using Bolt Engine?
Some kind of a visual guide of how PlayerCallbacks-ServerCallbacks-PlayerController-PlayerMotor-PlayerObject and PlayerObjectRegistry interact with each other and to what purpose would be very useful.

Also I don't quite understand the difference between state settings "Use bolt properties" and "Using animator methods" because both tutorials are using bolt properties.
If anyone has an example I could observe of how everything is set up using animator methods or merely explain the difference between the two using code it would be much appretiated.

Comments

• stanchion
    Options
    https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/bolt/current/getting-started/bolt-105-animations
    "If you are adding Bolt to a game that already exists and that's using the standard mecanim way of setting parameters on the animation controller it is best to leave this at the default 'Using Animator Methods' setting. If you are building a new game with Bolt you should usually pick the 'Using Bolt Properties' option, which is what we will do here."

state.AddCallback("dodge", () => { anim.SetBool("dodge", state.dodge); });

As long as you are not using rootmotion with server authoritative players, there should be no issue.