Problem with Kinematic rigidbody and mass

HI,

In our physics based game, for some reason, we need to set an object kinematic, move its position and then return it dynamic.

Debugging we saw that when the property isKinematic is set, the mass of that object automatically changes.

I suppose this is a bug. Will it be fixed in 1.0.7?

Thank you.

Andrea.

Comments

• Hello Andrea,

Are you using 2D physics? It is a behaviour from the physics engine, internally a kinematic body shoud have no mass, no velocities, so it automatically changes its state to keep consistency. Why you need to set the body to kinematic, there is a special reason?
  • Ok, I perfectly understand that a kinematic body has no mass. But why should mass change when kinematic is set? Maybe a kinematic mass can be considered zero without change the actual value.

I need it because in some situations I need to move the object by script.
  • I got it @erre, we will handle this issue to kept the same mass if you change back the body type. We are planning the next release (1.0.7) to tomorrow, we will work on that to be included on the pack, but if not it will be included on the 1.0.8. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Hi,

I saw that this feature isn't present in 1.0.7.
    I know that 1.0.7 is just be released, but when 1.0.8 will be released? Have you already planned it?

Sorry for this question but the kinematic feature make things easier for us! :)

Thank you.
  • Hi @erre,

You are totally right about asking for it :). As you noticed we didn't put in 1.0.7 but it should be included in 1.0.8. We are planning to release it in the end of next week. Thanks.