Looking for advice before starting a project with this

Options
First the goal of the project:
We want to have a server that does everything. Most of the examples I see about photon are having the clients direct gameplay. However we are trying to create a server side solution for our turn based battle game where clients have no control over what happens and simply submit orders and get told what happens because of those choices they make. Is Photon appropriate for this style of game with tons of heavy game logic in the photon code?

2nd question is, our client is unity and the download page says this:
Below SDK implements a lean networking framework, LoadBalancing API, offering programmers detailed control. As alternative, use Photon Unity Networking (PUN) which integrates more tightly with Unity's development approach.

It doesn't really explain the pros and the cons of using this SDK vs using PUN. If I have no prior experience concerns and just want to use the best option which should I be using?

Finally, after what I read it sounds like I should base the game off of the LoadBalancing application. However there does not appear to be a client sample app that is the client half of the LoadBalancing demo app. Does this exist?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• chvetsov
    Options
    > Is Photon appropriate for this style of game with tons of heavy game logic in the photon code?
    yes. i would recommend you use plugins, so that you will be able to rent enterprise cloud or use your own hosting.

> just want to use the best option which should I be using?
    PUN is build over LoadBalancing api. for beginners i would recommend PUN. with api you need more manual work.

>Finally, after what I read it sounds like I should base the game off of the LoadBalancing application. >However there does not appear to be a client sample app that is the client half of the LoadBalancing >demo app. Does this exist?

Not really sure what you asking here
  • Thanks for your reply. What I meant was a Unity sample project that connects to the LoadBalancing sample app so I can see how it all works.
  • FalsAlarm
    Options
    I'm also using Unity to make 2d/3d games. I agree a server is needed to tell the clients what to do. I'm creating an online poker game and indeed require a photon server for dat :dizzy:
  • chvetsov
    Options
    Hi,
    @FalsAlarm.
    You probably should clearly understand that only you may implement what you need. we just offer plugins for you to make it more convinient

@greyhoundgames
    i assume that any of our demos might be used with self hosted solution. that is it.
    here is docs how to make initial setup:https://doc.photonengine.com/en-us/pun/current/getting-started/initial-setup