Dying Behind Wall with Lag Compensation

Options
iWig
iWig
edited November 2016 in Photon Bolt
I was testing out the tutorial demo that was provided with Bolt Engine. I was under the assumption that this demo incorporates all of Bolt Engines lag compensation techniques for shooting etc. Is that correct? If so, I was disappointed at the "network delay" that Bolt seemed to have. I was testing with another player who doesn't have the best internet connection. (See attached photo for a diagram of the test that was run imgur.com/a/9D3P8). It didn't matter if he or I were the player shooting, the player how got hit always died well behind the wall. I would have expected the player to die closer to where they were shot if not in the exact location. I have tested this in other engines and other games and have have seen it work like this. I was just wondering what I could do to reduce this and increase the "response time". I increased Bolt's Network Rate to 1 (or 60 packets/second) and that didn't help the issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stanchion
    Options
    If there is a latency of 0.5 seconds ie 500ms then the player will be able to go a significant distance behind the building before getting shot on the server, and then a correction is made. This is very clear to anyone who's played Counterstrike, or even Overwatch when they jump into the air going a great distance, then there is a correction and they die on the ground.
  • iWig
    Options
    I would agree with you in a extreme situation of having a player with 500ms ping. But it my case, the ping to server for the player with the worst connection was only around 120ms. This ping shouldn't cause such an extreme distance that the player dies behind the wall. We have tested this exact same setup in counterstrike and found that the player dies on the corner or just slightly past. This is why I was asking if everything was setup correctly or if changes needed to be made. Is it possible to allow Bolt to send more than 60 packets per second? For comparison CS:GO can run at 64 or 128 packets per second?
  • stanchion
    Options
    You can easily test for lag with latency simulation in Bolt. You can adjust the packets per second by changed the simulation rate and the network rate in Bolt settings.
  • iWig
    Options
    Where can I read up more about testing for lag with Bolt's latency simulation features?
  • stanchion
    Options
    Its in Bolt Settings under Latency Simulation
  • McCann
    McCann
    edited January 2017
    Options
    iWig said:

It didn't matter if he or I were the player shooting, the player how got hit always died well behind the wall.

Actually, after reviewing the Bolt sample code recently (WeaponRifle.cs), the real issue is that there is no code that prevents someone from being shot behind the building / wall (or other Collider). The rifle code performs a Bolt Hitbox check and ignores Unity colliders.

I added some additional code when performing some other tests. Compare to original and you'll see the delta. https://tagmycode.com/snippet/6149/unity-photon-bolt-raycast-distances