[Feature Request] Non-Server Owned Networked Entities

Options
bigd
bigd
edited November 2016 in Photon Bolt
One thing that I've been struggling with lately is how to handle non-server owned networked entities.

In my particular situation, I have some networked entities that are not server owned that are instantiated by the client. I wont really go into the reasoning behind this, but in a nutshell, it makes some things easier when you aren't having to worry about server authority. I don't have to always send an event to the server to perform any state change, for example.

BOLT was design with entity ownership in mind, but can be kind of limiting. Changing the state, deleting an object, for example, can only be done by the owner. And the owner can't change, it's assigned to whoever instantiates the entity. If the instantiating player leaves, the entities that player owns are automatically removed.

Ideally, it would be great if ownership could be assigned to anyone at anytime and you are able to change the way entities are handled if that person leaves the game (entities and their states are automatically assigned to a new owner or something).

I understand that goes against the whole server authority model and leads into more of a p2p type framework, but it would be great if we had the flexibility to use this option.