RPC Call not working in groups for AllViaServer

Hi,

For our game, we would like players to jump into the game, spectating other players while they race if they join a room and a race is ongoing. Now, I had the idea of using groups on PhotonViews with the group parameter. Now, context aside, when I send an RPC from my photon view which has been placed in i.e. group 2, enable receiving and sending to this group, RPC call send using "AllViaServer" are not executed on the view that sent the call... Using "All" does work, but I'd prefer to use the "AllViaServer".

So to conclude: RPC calls sent using "AllViaServer" do not get executed at the PhotonView that sent out the call.
this.rpcView.group = 2;
PhotonNetwork.SetSendingEnabled(2, true);
PhotonNetwork.SetReceivingEnabled(2, true);

this.rpcView.RPC("StartCountdown", PhotonTargets.All, ...); // Works
this.rpcView.RPC("StartCountdown", PhotonTargets.AllViaServer, ...); // Does not work
Any help on this issue? Am I overlooking something?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• We just checked the server side and it's actually a limitation in the Interest Groups that keeps them from using the "AllViaServer" target. In fact, when using Interest Groups, the event (in this case a RPC) always goes to "Others" only. No matter what else you set.

I could imagine that you work around this in the client. As in the .All case, you could execute the RPC purely locally. This has influence on the timing/order of RPCs but if that's not a big problem, this is feasible.

We will discuss changing this server-side, too. You are using the Photon Cloud?
  • Hi Tobias,

We use the Photon Cloud indeed (PUN).

Good to know that its a limitation server-side because I went too far debugging client-side. :)
    Now I can keep this in mind and use possible work-around since everything we build up until now uses group 0 and doesn't give issues with the RPC targets.

Thanks for the reponse.