Setting up a true authoritative server environment

Options
Hey guys,

it's me again. Quick question, is there anything to consider when setting up bolt as authoritative server?

For now I've changed in the settings the instantiate mode to "individual setting on each prefab" and disabled that option on each to disallow clients to instantiate anything (this is done on the server only).

Is there anything else to do?

Comments

• Yukichu
    Options
    I believe if you disable that setting in Bolt Settings, and then double check that same setting on each Entity (which seems to reset itself every time you update the version, open issue for this), the clients should not be able to instantiate.

Beyond that, you'd have to create the command / motor interactions (covered in tutorials) for authoritative movement.

Everything else you can write checks for, set the events to be created only on certain pieces (server/client, etc.) and just remember that each client only has one connection: the server. So whoever (whatever) is running as the server has authority. If it is a standalone server, everything is relayed through it, so there is the real authority. Server-side checking for all sorts of things can be done.

However, if a client is also the server, well, dems da breaks. AntiCheatToolkit and/or just accept someone will exploit it.
  • silentneedle
    Options
    Good, then I'm on the right track. Thanks again Yukichu. :)