I am so confused how this works. How does a server work in turn-based?

Options
Beer
Beer
edited March 2016 in Any Topic & Chat
I was curious to try out Photon for a turn-based game, but I'm having a really tough time figuring out how this all works.

In turn-based, is there even a server or do the clients all just talk to each other? If there's a server.. where do you put it? Is it just an executable that gets sent out "to the cloud"? How does this process work?

In my game, I need a server application for validating player inputs to prevent cheating and generating seeds for procedural game boards on each client.

The information on the website isn't helping me.. either that or I've overlooked something obvious. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi @Beer,

Most Photon products architecture is client/server. If you choose Photon Cloud by creating a TurnBased application from the dashboard, you just need to worry about developing a client using one of the client SDKs available.

However, if you want to persist games/players data and custom authoritative server side logic ("validating player inputs to prevent cheating and generating seeds for procedural game boards") you have 3 options:
    1. Make a web service of your own and use Custom Authentication, Webhooks and WebRPCs.
    2. Host your own Photon Server and customize the server code using server SDK or extend it by making plugins using plugins SDK.
    3. Become an Enterprise Customer, with your private cloud, and upload your plugins there.
  • Beer
    Options
    Thank you. I ended up getting a clearer picture of things a couple hours after I made my thread, but the forum doesn't have a way to delete threads.

I think there might be a way for me to handle everything I need to handle without an authoritative server.. by allowing clients to validate other clients and reject anything that isn't valid. Not sure yet, still planning things out in my head; we'll see.

Thanks again