Where should I write my game logic?

Options
Hi, i'm making a card game.. Where should I write all my game logic?

Comments

• mdeforge
    Options
    I would do it server-side. One deck, managed by the server, communicated to the clients. Clients should probably only be around to accept input. Server would validate input as legal actions and respond back to client to initialize proper animations, etc.
  • Trixer
    Options
    A card game could almost all be written with operations to and from the game server. Check out how the event system and operation system works inside the server.

After that you just create the operation stuff, do an oprequest pass in the right stuff, server gets it and examines everything and either sends and operation or event back.

Client sends a play card operation

Server gets operation and looks it over, if it succeeds it triggers and event so all clients in the room know the card was played.

If its not valid then it sends an operation back to the client to tell it the play was invalid.
  • TheL0w3R
    TheL0w3R
    edited January 2016
    Options
    But how do I use Photon Cloud? I'm confused :/

Also, I have another question, my card game will be like hearthstone in gameplay.. I mean, if the user leaves, he loses the game.. It's not fully async.

Is better for me to use Realtime or Turnbased?
  • Trixer
    Options
    Ok, so one thing to keep in mind, is using the cloud services. Each player owns their own game objects. So it would be easy to get a card game set up this way.

Realtime or turn based is your option based on the kind of game you are making. Ask yourself questions about your design and decide which architecture is right for your game.
  • chvetsov
    Options
    Hi, there
    big thanks you to all who answered.

Turnbased by design assumes that it may happen that only one player right now is online. if nobody online game state may be saved to continue game later. if player left game by default he is still in game

Althogh realtime also supports game state saving/loading you have more options. using them you may get same behavior as turnbased.

now about Game Logic: if you are going to use cloud then it is not possible to modify our server code. but you still have an options:
    1. host your self
    2. write plugin and use enterprise cloud
    3. use web hooks.

with First and Second everything more or less clear. Lets talk about webhooks
    web hooks allows you to setup call to your web server where your logic may make desigion and respond with some answer. clients will get this answer and handle it.
  • TheL0w3R
    Options
    chvetsov said:

Hi, there
    big thanks you to all who answered.

Turnbased by design assumes that it may happen that only one player right now is online. if nobody online game state may be saved to continue game later. if player left game by default he is still in game

Althogh realtime also supports game state saving/loading you have more options. using them you may get same behavior as turnbased.

now about Game Logic: if you are going to use cloud then it is not possible to modify our server code. but you still have an options:
    1. host your self
    2. write plugin and use enterprise cloud
    3. use web hooks.

with First and Second everything more or less clear. Lets talk about webhooks
    web hooks allows you to setup call to your web server where your logic may make desigion and respond with some answer. clients will get this answer and handle it.

Is it possible to use Webhooks with Realtime?
  • chvetsov
    Options
    yes
  • TheL0w3R
    Options
    chvetsov said:

yes

Okay! Thanks :)