Entity Events Get Discarded

Hey everyone,
I just updated from the old 0.4.3.1 to photon 0.4.3.10, in the hopes that this was fixed:
Beta 0.4.3.3
Fixed: Entity event unreliability issues where too many events would get discarded.
I ran a quick test and it seems to still be a problem, that unreliable events consistently gets discarded.
I know there is a chance that unreliable events doesn't arrive, but I can consistently replicate this on a local computer running both server and client.
I simply make a for loop to send an amount of entity events from the server and check how many is received on the client like this:
for (int i = 0; i < EventCountToSend; i++)
{
    var e = TestEvent.Create(entity, EntityTargets.Everyone);
    e.TestIndex = i;
    e.Send();
}
Some results (100% consistency):
- Server sent 4 events, client received 3 events.
- Server sent 12 events, client received 10 events.
- Server sent 30 events, client received 25 events.
- Server sent 100 events, client received 83 events.
- Server sent 500 events, client received 374 events.

Again this is a local test so I would think that no events would be lost, and if they did, that it would be inconsistent.
Also latency simulation is turned off in bolt settings.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Comments

• Those events are sent unreliably because entity events are unreliable. If you need an event to be reliable then use a global event
  • Hello stanchion :)
    Thanks for your reply, but as described in my post this seems to be a bug in bolt to automatically consistently not sent some of the entity events. Check out this example image:

Here I sent 4 entity events from the local server to the local client and as you can see on the left, 4 events are raised but only 3 events are sent, and of course only 3 events are received and raised on the client.

I don't think this has anything to do with data limitation either, as I can easily sent a ton more events per frame.

I only use entity events for visual things that are not critical, so I wouldn't mind losing 1 here or there, but it's a bit problematic that it automatically discards some of the events even when it's not over the internet.
  • This strikes me as a bug if the OP is using the version where fholm supposedly fixed this (same) bug (which he appears to be). On a local machine or network there just should not be this many dropped packets, if any. In addition, the OP has tracked the issue to the sender, not the receiver, where bolt appears to not bother sending all of the events (and if I remember correctly, this was the exact thing fholm tried to fix in the release note mentioned in the OP).
  • Did anyone repost a bug on this, or try to get this addressed? Seems like a major issue and I'd rather have to make all of my Entity Events into Global Events.
  • Yes I have just submitted this issue again to github, so hopefully this gets fixed soon:
    github.com/BoltEngine/bolt/issues/292
  • Yep, entity events are completely unusable now because of this, they borked some time after .2.15.

There's a difference between "unreliable" and "don't get sent 20% of the time under no other load".