You tube video's dated..

Most of the video's are dated... I hate to see Bolt die off, because someone does not update them or add more to them... Forge has 10 times more.... So I own both Bolt and Photon, it annoys me that when someone can't keep them updated atleast every 6 months, they are over a year old... When new people buy bolt , most have no clue about Networking, so having them are useful... So I suggest having some one to get them up to date, or atleast within 6 months... unlike what is out there.

Just a thought..

Comments

• How many people want new videos?
  • I'd like to see a video on the Steam Matchmaking stuff that's currently in development. Maybe the scenario is adding the functionality to the Soldier demo that fholm made awhile back just to show the continuity.
  • Matchmaking is being worked on this week, I can show the Steam lobby stuff though
  • Any sort of additional tutorials would be awesome. Videos, no matter how short, to show how to do new functionality or existing-not-so-documented functionality would be great.
  • Noted.
    I personally am a "written tutorials" guy but we do see the demand for videos.
    Priority-wise, we will continue to push Steam, then fix bugs and catch up with documents and ease-of-use.
    I assume that development slows down for a while around Christmas, so bear with us.

If you have anything specific in mind: Please ask questions for details or specific features. We can at least explain those and then we also know what's unclear.
  • Some people like written, some people like videos... I just like clear, concise information.

I already figured it out, but if there was a quick written or video tutorial for the data channel streaming, that would have saved me 30-45 minutes of searching/reading/trial-and-error. I'm sure it'd help others.

Of course, when the Steam stuff comes about, a tutorial on how to set it up would be excellent.

I believe there was demand at some point for a "very basic tutorial" which would be similar to the original Bolt 1.x tutorials. You make a client, a server, make a cube prefab, change its colors with an event / state replication, move it around a bit, etc. Just something basic before someone jumps into a multi-hour tutorial.

Christmas time! Rejoice!
  • Joeronimoe
    edited May 2016
    I too want more videos. Anything from creating player spawn points, lobbies, Steam integration, and of course hidden gems like tips and tricks. As most have stated the current videos are out dated and mostly do not apply to current version of Bolt or Unity for that matter.
  • @Joeronimoe We have documentation for the Steam integration done for when its available. I think videos are best for introductory stuff, when it gets down to coding its just watching someone type some code and squinting at the screen trying to make out the words.
  • true, basic's and tips and tricks would be nice. The system is so powerful, and I know I have not even scratched the surface of what can be done with it yet. So, even the basic's would help me understand it better, or at least more completely.
  • Preferring to learn by video or text is mostly a matter of taste, I think.
    We are mostly relying on text with http://doc.photonengine.com/en/bolt/current/setup/overview
    Everyone is of course invited to share his learning by video. That being said, if we find the time, we do videos of selected topics. However, we cannot always keep them up to date, sorry.
  • Recon
    Recon
    edited May 2016
    Markus said:

Preferring to learn by video or text is mostly a matter of taste, I think.
    We are mostly relying on text with http://doc.photonengine.com/en/bolt/current/setup/overview
    Everyone is of course invited to share his learning by video. That being said, if we find the time, we do videos of selected topics. However, we cannot always keep them up to date, sorry.

I suggested this for others, not for me, I been using this a long time since it was made by the last owner..But when I get new people on my team or friends who use Bolt, that is all I hear them complain about how bad the docs are, and how there are no video's ..... I end up helping them but time is money for me as well, I have my own work to do.. So I only said this since I seen my friends leaving Bolt for ULink, Forge or what ever due to these problems.. I have said this on your forum and again here. So this is up to you guys what you do with my information.... But I know some people that I worked with and as I said friends would get really upset about this...

Your docs are poor as well.. in my opinion and I see others saying the same thing.. So please update.. I keep hearing, we can/t always keep this and that up to date... Well once every 6 months I feel is not to much to ask for just my opinion.. I can understand if people where asking for an update, every update that would be crazy.. I just had a friend of mine, we had a deep conversation about Bolt, and the docs , and videos, and why he refuses to use Bolt again... This is the reason why... I won't bring it up again, I have on my review the forums and here.. So your welcome to do what you want with this information..

Best of Luck.
    PS: I love Bolt, but wasn't for other networking, guru's helping me, I would not have a clue... I happen to have a few friends who are networking guru's..... The list piles up for us indie company;s and this is the purpose of buying some assets, to cut that time down, and if possible less learning to get our games out...

We have a five man team, and none of us are really networking programmers, we are either programmers for UI, AI, Game Play mechanics etc, and Artist of all kinds..... So really even schools for Game Development do not get involved with the networking end, since that is another field.. really..

So that is another reason why many come here to learn, or use tools like Bolt, Pun, or what ever... To make it easier . So please keep this in mind when doing your doc's and Video's.

Being someone who designs UI's I bet many think it's easy , well it's not... It's a skill, just like networking .. So it takes a skilled UI designer to make a really good UI design for a website or/and game...

Networking, if we did not have a tool like Bolt, Pun, it would be nearly impossible for newbie's to do this, so having tools like Bolt helped. but help getting people feet wet is what people want/need, from what what I have heard from so many newbie's to Bolt/ Pun .......

Pun it self is fine with Video's since so many people use it, and show them....Bolt has nearly nothing. It shouldn't take that long to do a few like Fholm used to have on the old site...
  • Recon
    Recon
    edited May 2016
    Please delete
  • Recon
    Recon
    edited May 2016
    Yukichu said:

Some people like written, some people like videos... I just like clear, concise information.

I already figured it out, but if there was a quick written or video tutorial for the data channel streaming, that would have saved me 30-45 minutes of searching/reading/trial-and-error. I'm sure it'd help others.

Of course, when the Steam stuff comes about, a tutorial on how to set it up would be excellent.

I believe there was demand at some point for a "very basic tutorial" which would be similar to the original Bolt 1.x tutorials. You make a client, a server, make a cube prefab, change its colors with an event / state replication, move it around a bit, etc. Just something basic before someone jumps into a multi-hour tutorial.

Christmas time! Rejoice!

Ya this is something I been trying to get these guys to do for awhile now. It would only help them with new users, and support.. in my opinion, I get so many damn calls about how my friends yell at me, about Bolt..lol.. I love Bolt so I always defend it, but I also understand the newbies that they need a jump start. They keep saying Text base.... Well that is what the admins like, they need to look at what there users like.... that matters more.. no offense .

So guys, i'm not here to be a jerk.. I'm here because I like Bolt alot and hate users that I know upset because of something that is such as easy fix.... These videos do not need to be 10 hours long.

I would do it myself, but I have my own company to run, just like you have yours. So if i HAD the time I would do it, I have to fix issues within my own company and manage them as well otherwise I would make some simple ones.. So my advice is to make some about 3-5 simple ones.. about 15-20 mins.. each.. I believe there is enough input from users here..

/cheers.
  • Thanks for taking the time writing this down. We do see the demand, we just did not have the time yet to actually improve the situation.