Unreal engine 4,photon cloud and Steam

sunnyxyed
edited May 2015 in Any Topic & Chat
hi
i am using Unreal Engine 4 to create an FPS multiplayer game for PC(only),i already integrated SteamSDK.
i want to know if i can use photon cloud for only hostings ?
i will be using Unreal Engine's built in OSS for matchmaking and Steam's test app id
or do i need to do the entire networking using photon cloud C++
could you please expose it to blueprints as i usually use blueprints over C++

Comments

• Hi sunnyxyed.

Yes, you are free to use something else than Photons builtin matchmaking facilities to match your players together and to still host the games with Photon.

To achieve that you would let one client create a room and then send the name of that room to the other clients through whatever matchmaking service you want to use. Those clients can then just pass that room name to opJoinRoom().

You can have a look at our Photon Unreal Engine 4 Demo to see how to expose everything you need from the Photon C++ Client API to blueprints.
    can you make a video tutorial on it or expose Blueprints so that we can use photon networking from right inside the UE Editor ?
  • Sorry, but this is not currently planned.
  • can we do these stuffs (user authetications,save achievements,stats etc.) ?
    and can we at latter point of upgrade any plan(photon server/playfab) ?
  • - user authentication: Yes, there is a class called AuthenticationValues that allows you to interact with a custom authentication service that you have setup in your apps dashboard. See http://doc.exitgames.com/en/realtime/cu ... entication for further information.
    - save achievements: No, that is not supported on the Photon Cloud. You would have to use a specialized 3rd party service like Playfab for this or run (a) custom server(s) on which you implement it yourself (this custom server could be implemented using Photon server as a base, but using a http webserver instead would normally make more sense).
    - stats: same answer as for save achievements
    - upgrade plan later on: of course you can