PUN High Ping Help

Options
Hey,

I'm working on a game for my game design class using PUN.
Everything is working fine except for the high ping. I've done my best to smooth the movement and the data across the host and client (my game only has 2 players), but there's still visible lag due to the constant +120 ping I'm getting. I'm in NA (Michigan to be specific) and connecting to the NA servers. If I connect to the EU servers I get 130.

Is there anything I'm missing on my end that could be the cause? Or is this typical for the Photon cloud servers in NA to be high due to load?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello,

thanks for using PUN! We are monitoring our servers closely, they don't suffer from high load, round trip times should be much lower than what you see.

Can you try two things:
    - run a command line ping / traceroute to app-us.exitgamescloud.com and see what RTT you get (ideally: use WinMTR, post the results here)
    - try your client from another location / from another network (e.g., not from your university) and see if results are similar

In general, we can not do much about this issue, sorry :(
  • SmartCarrion
    Options
    I have the same problem. From within my game the ping never goes below 100. I thought maybe it was a setting in my code I could tweak, but when I ping and traceroute to your server from my phone, I get +120ms on wifi, and +250ms over 4g, about the same as i see in game on any platform. i'll test more later from my PC and other internet connections too.

Is ~100ms the best ping we can expect? What do other customers experience?

I live in Portland, OR and am connecting to the US server.

Thanks!
  • FGStud
    Options
    Same experience here. I've never seen below 100. San Jose, California. My game is still being tested and not released if that makes any difference.

I use:
    PhotonNetwork.GetPing()

to get my values so not RoundTripTime just fyi
  • likon
    Options
    Did you guys maybe solve this mystery? I have high pings as well..