Database and profiling tools

Options
sebas77
edited August 2014 in DotNet
Hi,

We are evaluating Photon Server. I would like to know if:

- since it's possible to do HTTP request from the server side code, can I also use C# API that wraps DB? Like the MongoDB C# API?

- does photon come with profiling tools? We are interested in tools to profile the network bandwidth and to test the server application under heavy load (like thousands of clients connected)

Comments

• Philip
    Options
    sebas77 wrote:
    - since it's possible to do HTTP request from the server side code, can I also use C# API that wraps DB? Like the MongoDB C# API?

Yes - you can do anything that is supported by the .net sdk.
    sebas77 wrote:
    - does photon come with profiling tools? We are interested in tools to profile the network bandwidth and to test the server application under heavy load (like thousands of clients connected)

Photon has a range of windows counters you should have a look at http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/c ... e-counters. You can install them through the PhotonControl http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/c ... ion#pmcpca.

Loadtesting is allways specific to your application - so you will have to write the loadtest.

There are two approaches to generate the load
    1) clients written using the client sdk
    2) photon application (photon -> photon)

the second approach IMO is initially more work, but a lot easier to work with in the long run.
    Since the first approach requires many machines - and constantly checking each of them is doing
    what its supposed to be doing, you can easily end up with 30 machines or more to generate the load.
    If you use less your clients won't behave as they should.

With the second approach you have the windows counters on the client machines too which you can use to monitor the test rig.
    And usually its enough to either have a very big client machine (test rig) loadtesting a (much) smaller server or at least a small number of
    test rigs (2-4).