Cloud behaviour

Kynth
edited February 2011 in Photon Server
Hi,

I'm interested in how Photon operates within the cloud environment, specifically my questions are driven by the graphic at the bottom of the second page of the product pdf:
    http://www.exitgames.com/Content/pdf/Photon_Socket-Server_Productsheet.pdf

Assuming the MMO Interest Management approach to an application, what I would like to know is:
      1) How would interest regions be spread across the Game Servers? 2) How does the load balancer determine and communicate the appropriate server back to the client? 3) How does a client then migrate between servers? 4) How does photon synchronise across the data-centre boundaries indicated?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Comments

• Kynth wrote:
      I'm interested in how Photon operates within the cloud environment, specifically my questions are driven by the graphic at the bottom of the second page of the product pdf:
        http://www.exitgames.com/Content/pdf/Photon_Socket-Server_Productsheet.pdf

You are referencing this diagram:
        load-balancer.jpg

This architecture is designed for Lite/Litelobby based applications. The simplified flow is like this:

a) Client connects to Photon Lobby
        - Client sees the lobby (list of games etc)
        - matchmaking
        - enters a game >> and gets a URL from the Lobby Server

b) The client connects to the game server (URL from #a)
        - game action
        - when finished the client connects to the Lobby again

There is Server-2-Server communication between the Game Servers and the Lobby to exchange #users, rooms etc.

All this is a framework you need to adopt to your individual requirements. For sure you can adopt this approach for MMO based apps with interest management.
        Assuming the MMO Interest Management approach to an application, what I would like to know is:
          1) How would interest regions be spread across the Game Servers?
        I would not split worlds across nodes - this will get very complicated.
        2) How does the load balancer determine and communicate the appropriate server back to the client?
        We have a least connection type of approach - but this is up to your requirements.
        3) How does a client then migrate between servers?
        Disconnect/Connect
        4) How does photon synchronise across the data-centre boundaries indicated?
        Server-2-Server communication is via TCP. The game servers push their IPs and port during startup to the Lobby.
      • Fantastic, thank you very much for the details.

Is there any documentation for running multiple worlds in a levels/zones context?