Extending MMO Demo

iksnae
edited February 2011 in Photon Server
First let me say, I am a thoroughly impressed with what you guys have created. I look forward to building many games and apps powered by your platform. This post is particularly about the MMO demo. I was looking for some recommendations and best practices on extending this application. Any links, documents or information would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• You can find some general information in the SDKs docs and in our DevNet:
    http://developer.exitgames.com/mmo

Photon is usually extended by adding new Operations. This is described here:
    http://developer.exitgames.com/liteandl ... operations

If you could ask more concrete, we could probably give better advice.
  • Thanks for the links.. What I'm trying to do is extend what's already been created in the Photo.MmoDemo.Server. I would prefer to leave the original code intact. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how the entire application comes together.

Some of the areas I'm having trouble understanding are:
    How MMoItems Are added to the game world.
    How to use the Npc classes that are there but not included in project.
    How to create Player controlled Npc.

I'm sorry if these are total noob questions, but I just want to get a better understanding before start breaking things.

Thanks again
  • Hi iksnae,
    iksnae wrote:
    How MMoItems Are added to the game world.
    MmoItems are added to the world's item cache.
    They become visible to others once you call "Item.UpdateInterestManagement()" the first time.
    iksnae wrote:
    How to use the Npc classes that are there but not included in project.
    How to add them to the project or how to make them your own?
    iksnae wrote:
    How to create Player controlled Npc.
    Most demo operations allow an optional parameter item id and item type.
    So you could use the Move operation to move the Npc item, or use RaiseEvent to raise events in his name.
    You client would decide for him where to move and what else to do.
  • Hello Boris.
    Thank you for the quick response. I think I'm getting it now.
    Boris wrote:
    How to add them to the project or how to make them your own?
    I just figured out how to get the Npc classes into the project without errors. So yes, I'd like to know how to make them my own.

I noticed in NpcMmoWorld there are 4 Npc instances declared. Once I'm running the new build of MmoDemo, should I be able to see these Npcs in the WinGrid client app? If not. How do I go about seeing the Npc in the WinGrid client?

Thanks again.
  • you will see the Npc in the corners when you get near.
    the npcs will log a debug message when they see you.
    this is where you can hook in your AI. use the item fiber to schedule AI actions.