Photon Network specific question

Hello there. Im not sure about how to make this question, so sorry if i make it a little bit longer than i suppose.
One more thing, im portuguese so sorry if my english isnt that good.

So, all we see this days are people developing MMO games using unity, and other frameworks. I mean, normal MMO games, like a person (a object), who enters a world (a terrain or something), with lots of other persons or monsters (various objects) in that world (a terrain or something).

We already know that photon network can do all that work for us, but what about a unusual MMO ? Something like, lets imagine, each user is not an object, but something like a record in a database, wich achieve several things thats not an object too. Do you know DopeWars ? Imagine something like that, multiplayer - where you are a user (not an object), and you can go to citys (text based) and you can find another users online - not an object.

Is this possible with Photon Network + Unity ?

I hope i was clear enough explaining this, and as i said before, im really sorry if it is a little confusing but im not sure about the best way to ask this question!

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
André Ferreira

Comments

• Anything is possible with Photon but the features you describe won't work "out of the box". You will have to implement them.
    I wouldn't use the Photon Unity Networking framework client side. The "plain" api provided in the Photon Unity SDK is more "direct" and makes it easy to use your server logic.
    Some info on the server:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server
  • Hello.

Thank you for your answer.

Im sorry, but im not sure what you mean. So you're saying that i should not use photon cloud service, but the photon server instead ?

Thank you
  • Im sorry, but im not sure what you mean. So you're saying that i should not use photon cloud service, but the photon server instead ?
    1. If you need to add some custom server side code, then you can't use the public cloud, as it does not allow custom server side code. You will have to use the self hosted Photon server is this case (or a private cloud, but thats only economical, if you expect at least 10.000 CCU).
    2. Additionally when dealing with custom server code it's recommended to use the Photon Unity Client SDK from our download area instead of the Photon Unity Networking plugin from Unitys asset store.