How to reconnect before connection timeout?

Hello, I experience this behavior of photon server plugin:
1) I am an user in a room X (player TTL is 1sec, Room TTL 3mins)
2) the client dies (without proper disconnect)
3) I immediately try to reconnect and re-join to the same room with the same user (before connection timeout expires)
4) re-join attempt fails. related log messages on server side:
WARN Photon.Hive.HiveGame -
JoinApplyGameStateChanges: Game 'Room_sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65_Singleplayer_491705' userId 'sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65' failed to join. msg:Join failed: UserId 'sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65' already joined the specified game (JoinMode=3). -- peer:GameClientPeer: PID 15, IsConnected: True, IsDisposed: False, Last Activity: Operation 226 at UTC 10/16/2018 3:22:06 PM in Room Room_sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65_Singleplayer_491705, IP 192.168.2.55:41673,
5) join attempt fails too
WARN Photon.Hive.HiveGame -
JoinApplyGameStateChanges: Game 'Room_sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65_Singleplayer_491705' userId 'sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65' failed to join. msg:Join failed: UserId 'sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65' already joined the specified game (JoinMode=0). -- peer:GameClientPeer: PID 17, IsConnected: True, IsDisposed: False, Last Activity: Operation 226 at UTC 10/16/2018 3:22:07 PM in Room Room_sgl:gikx-syrk-n3in-nd65_Singleplayer_491705, IP 192.168.2.55:40362,

If I wait for cca 1min, the client connection timeotes and I am able to join the same room with the same user. But I need to do this BEFORE the timeout. Any suggestion?
than you

Answers

• hi, @dcerny

What auth mode are you using? you should use token auth. and during rejoining you should provide a token from the previous session. Otherwise, it will not allow you to rejoin

best,
    Ilya
  • dcernydcerny
    edited October 18
    we use custom authentication. And we provide auth data during connection. The problem is not in establishing connection, but in rejoin/jion. The workflow is (PUN code):
    1) PhotonNetwork.AuthValues = new AuthenticationValues {...}
    2) PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(version) - SUCCESS
    3) PhotonNetwork.CreateorJoinRoom(...) - SUCCESS
    4) kill client
    5) repeat steps 1+2 - SUCCESS
    6) PhotonNetwork.ReJoinRoom() - FAILURE
    7) PhotonNetwork.JoinRoom() - FAILURE
  • hi, @dcerny

you do not need to repeat 1) and 2) when you rejoin. That your main mistake. I'm not sure how to do this right on the client side. @JohnTube please help here.

best,
    ilya
  • JohnTubeJohnTube mod
    edited November 29
    Hi @dcerny,

Thank you for choosing Photon!
    Sorry about my late comment I was on vacation.

OK, I see the issue.
    I think it's because the current Photon Server version does not support "sessions" if token changes, @chvetsov can confirm, clarify or rectify.
    If the client disconnects unexpectedly, the server may keep an active connection for a peer in the room for a while, during this period it won't accept any new connection with the same UserId and different token.

What you could do to double check:

1. Try reconnect and rejoin (keeps the same token, connects to the game server directly): If you do not kill the client but instead force a client timeout disconnect (e.g. move the app to the background and then foreground again after client connection timeout 10 seconds without keep-alive/acks only background thread if applicable) and try ReconnectAndRejoin it should work with self-hosted server.

2. You could also try LeaveRoom(true) then Rejoin() once on master server.

3. Try same repro steps from your previous comment but on Photon Cloud.
  • Hi @JohnTube ,

I am facing the same problem, when our players get disconnected, they won't be able to rejoin too soon, I see the error
    2018-11-29 19:25:03,603 [12] WARN Photon.Hive.HiveGame - JoinApplyGameStateChanges: Game '868787ae-07a0-425b-bf04-a4bb4a4ff5c9' userId '8' failed to join. msg:Join failed: UserId '8' already joined the specified game (JoinMode=3). -- peer:GameClientPeer: PID 14, IsConnected: True, IsDisposed: False, Last Activity: Operation 226 at UTC 11/29/2018 11:25:03 AM in Room 868787ae-07a0-425b-bf04-a4bb4a4ff5c9, IP 192.168.1.15:37781,

is there anyway to "force" a rejoin? I have tried LeaveRoom(true) before calling Rejoin and it does not seem to be working, (At that point i am not even connected to the game server, i don't think it's going to help the game server finding out i am already disconnected)

Thanks for your help
    Ting

• JohnTubeJohnTube mod
    edited November 29
    Hi @ltx,

You could cache (on device between 'app sessions') the room name, AuthenticationValues.Token, the Game Server's IP address of the previous 'server/connection/auth session' and reuse it in the new 'server/connection/auth session' and perform a ReconnectAndRejoin (this a PUN feature where you do a quick reconnect, shortcut to Game Server and rejoin the room) or cache the room name and AuthenticationValues.Token to perform a Rejoin.

I did not test this and it may require changes in client code to allow injecting AuthenticationValues.Token and server address/type.