Proper way to sync physics and collisions

I'm using PUN for my 2D game, which uses physics as the main method of moving enemies from one place to the player(to kill him. Very morbid, I know). Currently I'm using a Rigidbody2DView coupled with a TransformView syncing the position with the interpolate option disabled, which works fine, until the enemy gets hit with a player projectile, at which point it goes all weird and starts flying around on the client, eventually stabalizing itself after a second or 2, but there's a noticeable problem.

I'm guessing this is because the projectile is colliding with the enemy on the master client and the client, but then the data gets synced from the master client to the client, and it goes all weird.

So is there A) any way to sync collisions, or B ) a better system for syncing physics?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Recursion
    Recursion
    edited July 2018
    EDITED: original post edited to replace B) with B )

Sorry about the random B), I meant to put B )
  • Hi @Recursion,

I'm guessing this is because the projectile is colliding with the enemy on the master client and the client, but then the data gets synced from the master client to the client, and it goes all weird.

You are probably right: the client detects a collision which affects the object's velocity and furthermore tries to update the position. Since the Owner (MasterClient in this case) didn't notice the collision, he applies another movement to that object. This results in the behaviour you described above.

You can try to add Lag Compensation and see if this is already enough to solve the problem. Lag Compensation is an approach to get a better synchronization between different clients. If the problem persists afterwards, you should adjust the game logic in terms of collision detection. Collisions affecting a certain object should only be handled by its certain owner in order to avoid the described problems.
  • Thanks so much for your suggestions. Lag compensation was a bit iffy for me, so instead I made the colliders on the projectiles on all the clients triggers(The master client will always own the enemies), and used OnTriggerEnter2D instead of OnCollisionEnter2D.