Photon network steps

Hi, i been learning photon network over the last week, it is kind of confusing still. Can i understand if the process is correct?

1 player go to a scene where they first enter their 'player name'
2. player enter into lobby where they see their friends list and to also add/remove friends.
3. player create a room where he and his friends can chat inside.
4. player create a game room where they all join and play.

Comments

• Hi @iikii,

1 player go to a scene where they first enter their 'player name'

You can do this either before or after the client connects to Photon. To do so you can use PhotonNetwork.player.NickName.

2. player enter into lobby where they see their friends list and to also add/remove friends.

Yes. To see how this works, you can take a look at this documentation page.

3. player create a room where he and his friends can chat inside.

They don't have to be in the same room. Please have a look at the Chat Demo from the PUN package or the related documentation page to get further information.

4. player create a game room where they all join and play.

Yes, to actually play with other players, the clients have to join a room. This can be either a public or private room, if you prefer playing only with your friends.
  • Thanks for the answers :) But i feel that it is kind of awkward with photon workings for example, the friends list only works inside the lobby and not in rooms while the chat doesn't work in the lobby but only works in rooms.

I will want to be able to see my friends list while inside rooms to chat. or to private chat to my friends in the lobby. This doesn't work right? I could be misunderstanding it since i am still new to it.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi @iikii,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

First, I think something should be clear from the beginning.
    There are two products for each purpose:

- PUN or Photon Realtime for real-time room based games and matchmaking.
    - Photon Chat for text chat and more advanced message type exchange between users privately or in public channels at all times and between friends.

Also the friends features are different between each product:

- UserIDs and Friends in Photon Realtime
    - UserIDs and Friends in Photon Chat