How to handle a NPC properly?

Options
Hi,

I spawn one NPC (PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject()) and one player at the same time by a game manager. When the player is killed by the NPC, he is respawned with another NPC (now two NPCs) and when the respawned player kills the second NPC, all is Ok, the body is then destroyed, but when the player kills the first NPC, the body is not destroyed with PhotonNetwork.Destroy(gameObject); Why isn't the previous NPC destroyed? Who owns the NPCs (scene obejcts) and how to control it properly?

In other words, what happens with sceneobjects when a player (client) is respwned and there is no other client, so there is only one client connected? When a player is destroyed (after have been killed), is the client disconnected? Adn when the player spawned, it is connected again?

Best Answer

• [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You basically have two options: the first is to place objects already while editing the scene in the editor, the other is to instantiate them at runtime. Both options are possible in single- and multiplayer games. Since you want to dynamically instantiate objects at runtime, you are fine with the second option.

For your case you can use the OnJoinedRoom callback, to create your character and the first NPC. This way both objects will be created as soon as the client has joined the room. You can use PhotonNetwork.Instantiate for your character and PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject for the NPC.

For each following NPC you can use PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject, too.

When you want to remove your character or a certain NPC, you can use PhotonNetwork.Destroy as long as you are the owner of the object or the MasterClient in the room.

Answers

• Hi @Tomza,

by default Scene Objects are owned and controlled by the MasterClient. But it's possible to transfer the Ownership of Scene Objects to other clients. Since you don't transfer Ownerships according to your description above, the objects will be owned by the MasterClient.

If your instantiated character dies and gets removed, the client doesn't get disconnected from the server by default.
  • Tomza
    Options

Hi @Tomza,

by default Scene Objects are owned and controlled by the MasterClient. But it's possible to transfer the Ownership of Scene Objects to other clients. Since you don't transfer Ownerships according to your description above, the objects will be owned by the MasterClient.

If your instantiated character dies and gets removed, the client doesn't get disconnected from the server by default.

Ok, thank you. So how to spawn, kill and control a NPC. I know how to do that in a dingle player game, so I don't need such details. I mean Photon mechanics, best practices, etc.

• In order to instantiate a scene object, you can use PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject(...);. Make sure that you use 0 as group parameter in order to instantiate this object 'globally'. Controlling is done by the owner of the object, which is the MasterClient by default. You can handle this basically the same way you are handling a client's character. Removing an object can only be done by either the MasterClient or the Owner of the object. Please note: MasterClient and Owner can be the same client, but it doesn't have to be this scenario. In order to remove a networked object, you can use PhotonNetwork.Destroy(...);.
  • Tomza
    Tomza
    edited June 2018
    Options

In order to instantiate a scene object, you can use PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject(...);. Make sure that you use 0 as group parameter in order to instantiate this object 'globally'. Controlling is done by the owner of the object, which is the MasterClient by default. You can handle this basically the same way you are handling a client's character. Removing an object can only be done by either the MasterClient or the Owner of the object. Please note: MasterClient and Owner can be the same client, but it doesn't have to be this scenario. In order to remove a networked object, you can use PhotonNetwork.Destroy(...);.

Great! But why my two NPCs do the same - shooting, reloading and dying. When I kill one, another dies too, for example. Can I make them separate units like players? What should I use for that? photonView.isMine? Hope you understand what I mean.
    What a function/moment in game is the best for NPC spawning?
  • If you instantiate them you have two different objects, which you have to deal with in different ways. For now it seems that you apply everything you do to both objects which you have to avoid. It seems that this is more a game logic problem than a network logic problem.

isMine only describes if you are the owner of the object.
  • Tomza
    Tomza
    edited June 2018
    Options

If you instantiate them you have two different objects, which you have to deal with in different ways. For now it seems that you apply everything you do to both objects which you have to avoid. It seems that this is more a game logic problem than a network logic problem.

isMine only describes if you are the owner of the object.

If it is not a network problem, Ok. So it is like in a single player game. When to spawn NPC ? The best function/moment for that?
  • [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You basically have two options: the first is to place objects already while editing the scene in the editor, the other is to instantiate them at runtime. Both options are possible in single- and multiplayer games. Since you want to dynamically instantiate objects at runtime, you are fine with the second option.

For your case you can use the OnJoinedRoom callback, to create your character and the first NPC. This way both objects will be created as soon as the client has joined the room. You can use PhotonNetwork.Instantiate for your character and PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject for the NPC.

For each following NPC you can use PhotonNetwork.InstantiateSceneObject, too.

When you want to remove your character or a certain NPC, you can use PhotonNetwork.Destroy as long as you are the owner of the object or the MasterClient in the room.
  • Tomza
    Options
    Ok, thank you for your precious help. All clear!