stuttering / freezing on Hololens

Options
hello

I'm using PUN to send a moving object position using a TransformView from a PC to a Hololens.

On the Hololens, the object freezes every .5 to 1 second, for about .5 to 1 second. It appears to just stop receiving any updates, and then resumes moving briefly before freezing again. For the brief moment it does update, it moves smoothly using the interpolation on the TransformView.

things i've tried:
- I've had issues previously with network messages (using regular sockets, not PUN) blocking the main thread on the Hololens, so as a test I placed several rotating cubes in the scene. They move smoothly.

- On another PC, the network transforms move smoothly, no issues.

- I've tried a sendRate of 3, 10(default), and 30, results are the same. I also reduced the number of objects down to just 1 TransformView and the results are the same, freezing every .5 to 1 second.

- Tested using both Cloud and local photon server.

Anyone have any experience with the Hololens and PUN or any ideas what might be causing the freezing? Are there any known issues with the way PUN processes messages on the Hololens that would cause these lags/freezes?

thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi @Teep,

On the Hololens, the object freezes every .5 to 1 second, for about .5 to 1 second. It appears to just stop receiving any updates, and then resumes moving briefly before freezing again.

Is it just the object which is occasionally frozen or is it the entire application? An easy way to check this might be to implement Unity's OnGUI function and display a value which changes each time the function gets called, for example Time.time. This would look like this: GUILayout.Label(Time.time.ToString());.

If the application is not running fine and you have the chance to connect the Unity Profiler with the Hololens (some hints here), you can check for issues with the Profiler.

If the application is running fine besides the mentioned stuttering / freezing, you would have to check if OnPhotonSerializeView is regularly called on the PhotonTransformView component in order to see, if there are issues with receiving. If there are issues, you also would have to check on the sending side and check, if updates are sent regularly.

You can also try other synchronization settings for Interpolation and Extrapolation, for example turning both options off and see, if you get another (visual) result.

If non of this is working you can also try to create a new project with only the core elements and see, if it is working in this project.

Please let me know if this helps you solving the issue. If not, please let me know which versions of Unity and PUN you currently use.
  • Teep
    Options
    thanks for the response Christian!

As mentioned, the app itself is not freezing, there are spinning cubes running smoothly next to the freezing hands, and messages are steadily flowing out from the PC that is the transformview owner - presumably they are not being received on the Hololens side though - its difficult to profile

We upgraded from 5.6 to 2017 and the latest version of Photon, and the problem went away, although i think congestion in the office wifi was the actual cause. On an empty wifi network the objects are a bit lagged as expected but run smooth.