PUN Vs UNET

Hello All,

I have developed many multiplayer game using PUN and still working on another multiplayer project, this will eventually sent to production after development gets completed, however,I have not started multiplayer module yet because I am wondering to know how my experience it would be if I use UNET instead.Will UNET head me to the dead end or make my journey fruitful?

If any developer has achieved experience with both and has solid conclusion please share your reviews with me, I hope there is many other developers who are also curios to know same thing.

Comments

• Imphenzia
    Imphenzia
    edited March 2018
    I think that will depend on your architecture - I just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1my5bKhKJY which gives a good indication on what is different between UNET and PUN especially. I am deciding between the two at the moment and I'm doing some research but unfortunately I can't answer your question fully since I haven't experienced both as such. But the video might give you some key what is right for you.

I should mention that the speaker is from Photon :) but still.
  • I used to use UNET in my first big multiplayer project but after some time I realized that UNET does NOT support host migration. My project had over 7k lines of code so I searched for solutions. After some research, I found out I have to switch elsewhere or create own dedicated server which I tried and don't wanna do it again :dizzy: Also, it was hard to customize creating lobby and room with UNET and it's deprecated right now. So I chose PUN2 and it was a great decision, it's easy to understand and documentation is perfect. Also when I wrote some questions to support, they answered me really fast with a detailed answer. So I'm happy to use PHOTON and hopefully, I can get better in using it.