Update API's and Lack of IntelliSense

Options
Just started using Photon Pun, and noticed two things:
1. When importing PUN into my project, unity immediately asks me to run an API updated because some of them use "old code"
2. My Intellisense is not working in Visual Studios for any PUN methods / variables, etc.

I see the store lists 5.x as supported versions, so I'm unable to be on any of the Unity 2017 versions? (currently on 2017.3.1) Would that be why unity throws this initial error on import, and also Visual Studios is not connecting quite right to the PUN solution?

Comments

• Hi @Phamarus,

to the first question: PUN still works with Unity 4.7, so it might contain some API which has been updated during the past - well - years. Besides that running the API updater shouldn't be a problem at all. If you are facing problems with the updater, please let us know.

To the second question: I'm currently not sure how well Unity and VS are working together, especially when you have a wide range of Unity versions and at least two different VS version (2015 and 2017). If you have problems, you can try using the Visual Studio Tools for Unity. They are still available and might help you in this case. One question: is this just related to PUN or are there functions from Unity, too, that aren't available in Intellisense?

PUN 1.89 supports Unity versions from 4.7 up to beta 2018, including the 5.x and the 2017.x version of Unity as well.
  • Phamarus
    Options
    Hey @Christian_Simon

Thanks for the info! I am using VS Tools for Unity. I did some spot checking on older unity versions, and found that I do not have this issue when using 5.5.2. I also checked with 2017.1.1, 2017.1.3 and of course my 2017.3.1. This was a little interesting, I have not tried other versions in the 5.x family.

I would like to troubleshoot the issue in 2017.x a little bit more though, as I'd love to use the newer versions of unity (we're hoping to move our existing project from UNET to PUN).

The Intellisense works on all Unity functions, up until the point I import PUN into the project. I created this imgur album to outline the issue, and allow you to see it. You can see it works up until the time I import pun - breaking both pun and unity autofind.
    https://imgur.com/a/vuCl4

Again, this issue is not present in a test 5.5.2 unity project - so I'm wondering if there is a workaround or some type of change to make it work for my 2017.x? You will see an error in the last screen on VS, guessing it's related to why Intellisense is breaking.
  • Hi @Phamarus,

thank you for providing the pictures showing the steps how you can reproduce the issue. However I can't repro it. I have used Unity version 2017.3.0 and both VS 2015 and VS 2017. Everything works fine. When you import PUN, did you see and confirm the API Update dialog? Does the Unity Editor shows any error in the console before or after importing the package? Does the issue still persist after closing VS and starting it again?

If you are using VS 2017 did you install the 'Game development with Unity' option as well? I had to do this in order to get working VS 2017 with Unity at all.
  • Phamarus
    Options
    Thanks @Christian_Simon

So, looks like things are working now. Not exactly sure what changed - but I can my VS 2017 updater, and I think it pulled through an update for Unity Tools (I was using them already). It looks like on March 5th there was an update (so a day after I posted here), with this note:
    Fixed Mono version detection.

That's my best guess at what changed. Either way, detection and intellisense seems to be working. I appreciate you being a sounding board, and ultimately helping motivate me to try multiple things. Thanks!