10:30AM - 11:30AM PST name server outage? Or something else?

Today I had a critical meeting with a first party publisher for our VR title that went south when we couldn't connect to the NameServer. Was there any sort of outage around 10:30 - 11:30AM PST today that was not reported? It just straight up couldn't connect to ns.exitgames.com:5058 in the logs, it said check to make sure the server is there.

I rescheduled the play test but if it fails again, it's pretty much over for us and getting any support. I've never encountered any connection issues anywhere else except when the server was down or when trying to connect to something from this publisher network.

We even tried tethering the phone to the PC there, to no avail. What's the most likely issue if there was no outage? That the computer is blocking UDP? I really REALLY want to avoid this for the next playtest so I'm trying to diagnose any possible issues. Any way you can check if my particular cluster was not resolving around that time?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi @ConjureStrike,

Thank you for choosing Photon and we apologize for the inconvenience!

See my colleague's post here.

You can do the demo with Photon Server locally maybe next time to be sure.
  • Hey John, is there anyway to confirm that this was indeed the cause of the issues and not the firewall etc? I'm doing another test and I don't want this to happen again!
  • Also what do you mean by demoing with the photon server locally?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there anyway to confirm that this was indeed the cause of the issues and not the firewall etc?
    my colleagues will confirm tomorrow but it should be the case, we were in the middle of a deploy (cloud update rollout) during that time.

Also what do you mean by demoing with the photon server locally?
    connect to self-hosted on-premises Photon Server running on a local computer.
  • Thanks!

Ah, because the link you pointed me to was @ 6:53AM or something, so I thought it was earlier? You are saying it was rolling out for many hours, including 10:30AM - 11:30AM PST? Thanks for the update. I would still greatly appreciate a verified confirmation from your colleagues based off of my app please (ConjureStrikeFinal)

I am sorry to be so persistent about the full confirmation, but i have another test with them next wednesday that cannot fail. I cannot host servers on premise. It is @ their headquarters so they will be pretty restrictive. I can't host a local server either since the build is going to be on the Alpha channel of the Oculus store running on their test machines.

Will be eagerly awaiting a response from colleagues! Thanks again John