Room not visible for HoloLens (except on the Cloud)

Options
Hi,

I have a cross-platform application that has a Windows Unity build and a HoloLens Unity build. The problem I'm having is that the HoloLens cannot see rooms created by my desktop, and vice-versa. I was initially testing it on a local Photon server, but then decided to try it on the Photon Cloud, which surprisingly allowed both the desktop and HoloLens versions to connect to the same room.

I am really baffled at this point as I have had a project with desktop and HoloLens versions joining the same room on a local Photon server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Deibu,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Can you give us the steps that you performed on the desktop and the HoloLens?
    And also state what happens on Photon Server and what happens on Photon Cloud?

Did you go through our matchmaking checklist:
    for Photon Cloud?
    for Photon Server?
  • Deibu
    Options
    Photon Server:
    I launch the Photon Server, set the IP to the local address (192.168.1.##) and then connect both devices with "PhotonNetwork.ConnectToMaster(IPAddress, 5055, PhotonNetwork.PhotonServerSettings.AppID, GetVersionText());"

The desktop connects and then I run "PhotonNetwork.JoinOrCreateRoom(roomText, new RoomOptions() { MaxPlayers = 0 }, null);"

After the desktop successfully connects, I have the HoloLens join with the same command, but it creates its own room.

Photon Cloud:
    The only difference is that I connect with "PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings(GetVersionText());"

But with the Cloud, the HoloLens doesn't create its own room.
  • Deibu
    Options
    I'm also sometimes getting the following error: "Operation failed: OperationResponse 226: ReturnCode: -2 (Join failed: UserId is not set, checkUserIdOnJoin=true expects a UserId.). Parameters: {} Server: GameServer" when running my own Photon Server. I never have ran into this issue in the past, and I didn't change any Photon Server settings, so I'm not sure what's going on here either.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @Deibu

Operation failed: OperationResponse 226: ReturnCode: -2 (Join failed: UserId is not set, checkUserIdOnJoin=true expects a UserId.). Parameters: {} Server: GameServer
    To fix this error set UserID before connecting as shown here.

It is very weird why you can't connect both clients together.

Connecting to self-hosted Photon Server does not require AppId or AppVersion as those are only supported by Photon Cloud.

Please use PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings also when connecting to self-hosted Photon Server! and update PhotonServerSettings from Unity Editor by setting Hosting option to Self Hosted and entering server address.
  • Deibu
    Options
    JohnTube said:

To fix this error set UserID before connecting as shown here.

How come in the past I've been able to use my own self-hosted Photon Server without ever setting the AuthValues, but not anymore?
    JohnTube said:

Please use PhotonNetwork.ConnectUsingSettings also when connecting to self-hosted Photon Server! and update PhotonServerSettings from Unity Editor by setting Hosting option to Self Hosted and entering server address.

Is there any downside of using ConnectToMaster?
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How come in the past I've been able to use my own self-hosted Photon Server without ever setting the AuthValues, but not anymore?
    Did you update Photon Server SDK or update PUN?

Is there any downside of using ConnectToMaster?
    No. But it was not meant to be used in this case. And PUN's ServerSettings become useless if you use ConnectToMaster.
    Besides as I told you, the AppId and AppVersion parameters are useless.

Still, I do not see how to reproduce the issue you are reporting.
    I'm moving this discussion to Photon Server category.