Hacking RPC calls

Options
I've recently been using Photon, and I was wondering if there is a way to prevent client from hacking RPC calls. I have basically implemented what seems to be a dedicated server where my game server executes a headless server to host a multiplayer game. But, i realized that if players manage to modify RPC calls, they can hide / send wrong information to other clients.

For an example of sending wrong info, hacked clients can add an RPC call which goes something like:
photonView.RPC("UpdateHealth", PhotonTargets.All, 0);
This could very well ruin the experience for other players if i were do to stuff like disabling specific scripts when the player health reaches 0.

As for hiding information,
photonView.RPC("BeginCasting", PhotonTargets.MasterClient);
In this case, when the client doesnt call this function on other clients, they would not know that that player is about to perform an attack.

So is there a solution to this? Or am I understanding RPC calls wrongly?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Calvin,

I have basically implemented what seems to be a dedicated server where my game server executes a headless server to host a multiplayer game
    Are you sure? master client does not host the game and is only used in "pseudo / light / semi / fake authoritative logic".

what I suggest:

- use RpcSecure to encrypt RPCs.
    - use obfuscation and other techniques to make it harder to cheat or hack your game. good tutorial.
    - ban cheaters by making use of custom authentication to disallow reported or flagged users (e.g. by the community) from connecting to your game.

the other alternative is server side code.
  • Calvin
    Options
    Hey @JohnTube ,
    JohnTube said:

Are you sure? master client does not host the game and is only used in "pseudo / light / semi / fake authoritative logic".

Well yeah what I meant was having a client (not controlled by players) which does the "authoritative logic" such as game object interactions and such.
    JohnTube said:

the other alternative is server side code..

Im still quite a beginner at doing real time multiplayer games so I don't really know how to do this. Would this be something like

Example:
    1. A Client sends RPC_DoSomething() to the MasterClient
    2. MasterClient's version of RPC_DoSomething() does some authoritative logic and sends back an RPC_DoSomething() to related clients
    3. Clients check if RPC_DoSomething() is from the MasterClient and perform whatever is required on the Client version
    4. So basically my clients only accept RPCs from the MasterClient

Sorry if i am misunderstanding a lot of things haha. I'll probably have to stick with the obfuscation and whatnot. Thanks a lot for the suggestion and link for it :smile: