How messages per second per room are calculated ?

Options
Hello,

1. if a player sends 5 RPCs, does each one count as a message ?

2. if the player is also moving & sending 20 position updates per second, are the 5 RPCs included within the position messages or are they separate messages ?

3. I've tried the PhotonStatsGUI.cs but it didn't show any average ( just a sum of all RPCs), any better tool to measure messages per room per second ?

Thanks.

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @slake_it,

I apologize about the delay!

1. no. each RPC should count as more than one message: 1 sent from client to server plus 1 per target from server to client. So you should multiply that by 5.

2. RPCs are separate messages and are not aggregated unlike PhotonView updates.

3. Sorry we do not have any other tool for the time being. Maybe you can make one :) The dashboard should show you msg/room/s as the server is the one who can keep track of these.

You can read
    - "Message" entry in Glossary page.
    - Send Less § in "Analyzing Disconnects"
    - "Performance Tips"
  • slake_it
    Options
    @JohnTube Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Just to ensure I understood you, If a player sends 5 RPCs in a single frame , each RPC will count as 1 message going to server & 1 per target player.

- any reason why photon doesn't aggregate the RPC calls into a single message ?

Thanks again.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any reason why photon doesn't aggregate the RPC calls into a single message ?
    This is by design sending an RPC is same as calling RaiseEvent is independent of other events or RPCs and not "time related".
  • slake_it
    Options
    I Hope PUN sdk aggregates the calls in the future (I think it's very achievable)

Thanks a lot for helping @JohnTube