Is it possible to use Photon for an massive multplayer game ?

Hey there !

Im currently developing an mmorpg, the Problem is i have no clue what Server Provider i should choose. I often heard about Photon, but i also read that they focused more on "Rooms" instead of big master Servers. Also theres a message Limit per room. So what i Need is following, one big Server ( Or maybe later mutliple Server all connected together ) where the Players can Play on. Futhermore the message Limit is awefull... The Players should have the ability to Chat with each other in an global Chat. But with 500 msg/per room thats nearly impossible.

So is it possible to create a mmorpg with Photon ? Is it possible to use one big master Server instead of multiple rooms ?

Comments

• BUMP
  • That would most likely mean using Photon Server but of course strongly depends on what kind of game you are intending to build, what your architecture looks like etc..

To get a first glance at what is needed at a bit larger scale, you might want to watch http://blog.photonengine.com/2017/02/albion-online/

So, if you really want to do a MMO, there is a lot of effort involved.
    If you did not do online multiplayer games before, it may be a good idea to start simple.
  • @Markus Thanks for your fast Reply ! Im currently doing an some sort of Google maps like game, where other Players should be able to interact with each other and their Environment. I also thought about smartfoxservers, but i Need to try both to see whats better for that genre.

It would be really great if you guys could publish an MMORPG packet someday :disappointed:
  • Markus
    Markus admin
    edited July 2017
    Sure, always check your options.

Main reason we did not invest too much in such a package is, that each MMORPG is a quite unique beast and custom solution. Absolutely doable with Photon Server, but I doubt there is any out of the box solution.
  • JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @genar,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

I just wanted to share this link ICYMI.
  • RandomMan
    RandomMan
    edited July 2017
    You can't make MMO on PUN. Pun game logic based on clients sides so they able to cheat. If you want to make really good MMO you need use Photon Server with server-side logic. But its very haard...