UNet with PUN

hi everyone, I am fresh new here and I know my question is so stupid but I will ask it anyway.
I have already finished my game using the UNet HLAPI but am not happy with the relay servers of unity so I decided to change to photon. my question is do I have to only change the relay servers of unity with the PUN services or do I have to entirely change the games scripts (NetworkServer.Listen & NetworkClient.Connect, RPC's & commands, transform synchronization, HLAPI messaging system, etc) and rewrite it with the photon scripts such as the PhotonTransformView, CreateRoom & JoinRoom, etc.
in short: can I keep using my old scripts when changing to PUN?

Comments

• JohnTube
    JohnTube ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @SimBaa,

Thank you for choosing Photon!

Switching from UNet to PUN requires code change yes but it does not mean re doing everything from scratch. You just need to "convert" and "adapt" components and features.
    You should also be aware of the architecture differences between the two.
    In UNet one client is host/server and in PUN all clients connect to a dedicated (non client) server.
    PUN also offers much more features. Its matchmaking is very powerful.
    And PUN is known to have a very easy API for beginners.

If you still don't like this option you can consider Photon Thunder, still in early access though.
  • > @JohnTube said:
    > Hi @SimBaa,
    >
    > Thank you for choosing Photon!
    >
    > Switching from UNet to PUN requires code change yes but it does not mean re doing everything from scratch. You just need to "convert" and "adapt" components and features.
    > You should also be aware of the architecture differences between the two.
    > In UNet one client is host/server and in PUN all clients connect to a dedicated (non client) server.
    > PUN also offers much more features. Its matchmaking is very powerful.
    > And PUN is known to have a very easy API for beginners.
    >
    > If you still don't like this option you can consider Photon Thunder, still in early access though.

If I want to make one of the clients a host just like UNet, what is the right choice for me to go with? Photon Thunder?